YA Transporter/Overnight Guide – Full Time
Young Adult Program — Hilo, Hawai'i
Pacific Quest is an outdoor therapeutic program for struggling teens and young adults, located on the Big Island of Hawaii. Pacific Quest offers a clinical, yet holistic approach to treatment, moving beyond traditional wilderness therapy and teaching sustainable life skills.
Pacific Quest's proprietary therapeutic model is a groundbreaking approach that utilizes Horticulture Therapy to create concrete metaphors for its students as they cultivate their own health and happiness.
Pacific Quest cultivates Sustainable Growth in our students, in our families, in our communities, and in ourselves.
To assist in the mission of Pacific Quest to provide individualized, sustainable, personal development within a safe, structured, experiential and natural environment in a culture of unconditional support and personal responsibility. The primary purpose of this position is student safety. In addition, this is a flexible/dynamic position providing student transportation and administrative overnight guide support.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Works under the supervision of the YA Assistant Field Manager
- Keep watch over students at rest
- Fulfills administrative duties as assigned by Asst. Field Mgr. (i.e. med totes, paper shredding, oracles, etc.)
- Supports Logistics needs when assigned by Asst. Field Mgr.
- Immediately notify supervisor in the event of a crisis
- Accurate documentation of all incidents involving students and staff
- Remain alert and awake but quiet through the night hours while assessing student safety fronting the bunks
- Routinely scheduled security checks throughout facilities
- Maintain consistent communication with Supervisors regarding Student Activities
- Drive company vehicles in emergency situations / evacuations
- Transport clients upon arrival / departure / medical appointments
- Must have flexibility and be available to report to work during various work shifts
- Facilitate Student Outfitting process and perform Student Body Checks
- Provide de-escalation techniques, soothing techniques and enforce boundaries with students
- Housekeeping duties as assigned by Overnight Supervisor
- Must attend monthly staff meetings and mandatory trainings
- Facilitate Red Alerts when / if the need arises
- Additional duties as assigned by supervisor
- Experience working with at-risk populations (preferred)
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work safely and alertly during night hours between 8:15 PM and 6:45 AM
- Requires ability to be a team player, to form mutually respectful relationship with staff and to grow professionally in meeting the challenges of the position
- Must have valid driver’s license and clean driving record
- Must maintain current CPR and First Aid Certifications. CPR certifications must be from a classroom training, and no substitutions can be accepted for First Aid certs (i.e. Wilderness First Aid, Wilderness First Responder, etc.).
- Must maintain CPI-Non-Violent Crisis Intervention training (provided by Pacific Quest)
- Occasional participation in trainings during daytime hours is required
- Successful completion of a thorough background check and drug screen
- Annual physical and TB clearance required
- Must be 21 years or older
- Ability to work independently and unsupervised
- Ability to maintain a quiet and safe work environment
- Shift starting between 2-4pm and ending between 12-2am, but may vary according to operational needs
With or without reasonable accommodation, the physical and mental requirements of this job may include the following: seeing, hearing, speaking, and writing clearly. Occasional reaching with hands and arms, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, frequent sitting, standing and walking, may be required for long periods of time and may involve climbing stairs, walking up inclines and on uneven terrain. Additional physical requirements may include, frequent lifting and or moving up to 50 pounds.
How to Apply
Please apply for this job using our online application system. To do so, you'll first need to create a login account and choose a password.
If necessary, you may also submit resume and cover letter along with the application documents to firstname.lastname@example.org, fax to (855) 317-6304, or mail to Pacific Quest, PO Box 540, Naalehu, HI, 96772