Part Time and Full Time Program Nurse (RN)
Adolescent/Young Adult Programs — Hilo, HI
Pacific Quest is an outdoor therapeutic program for struggling teens and young adults, located on the Big Island of Hawaii. Pacific Quest offers a clinical, yet holistic approach to treatment, moving beyond traditional wilderness therapy and teaching sustainable life skills.
Pacific Quest’s proprietary therapeutic model is a groundbreaking approach that utilizes Horticulture Therapy to create concrete metaphors for its students as they cultivate their own health and happiness.
Pacific Quest cultivates Sustainable Growth in our students, in our families, in our communities, and in ourselves.
To serve as a registered nurse in primarily providing administrative nursing duties and secondarily nursing assessments for the students attending the Pacific Quest program. The Program Nurse will assist the team in medication and logistical administrative duties and make assessments based on his/ her nursing skills and license and report to the Pacific Quest Physicians as well as the Nurse Supervisor .
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepare medications for staff assisted self-administration
- Preparation for all resident intakes which includes labeling, auditing, and documenting medications, OTCs, and supplements in accordance with the consent to continue document
- Preparation and updates of all resident Field Wellness Plans
- Follow all resident departure policies and procedures
- Assist in the daily procedures and operations of the Wellness Department as related to administrative tasks, medication self- administration, and resident wellness checks
- Assist in staff training regarding medication self- administration and record keeping.
- Assist in staff training for first aid, response and medical needs of the residents
- Communication with outside providers and pharmacies for medication distribution and care
- Maintain the weekly medication inventory in collaboration with the Nurse Supervisor and program RNs
- Provide nursing assessment for all residents in the field who are experiencing physical, emotional, or mental symptoms related to their health.
- Take vital signs and perform pertinent physical exams within the scope of the RN license.
- Report subjective and objective findings to the Pacific Quest Physicians via established reporting systems
- Maintain appropriate, consistent, and timely medical documentation
- Take part in the program’s electronic medical records transition, assist with data entry.
- Cover duties provided by resident supervisors and field managers, including medication preparation for self- administration
- Cover duties for the Program Nurses as needed
- Administer injections to residents as needed
- Work with the Program Guides, Resident Supervisors, and Field Managers to assess and handle medical situations related to the current students in the field.
- Call the Emergency Department for a report of symptoms prior to transport and be the medical liaison for the Emergency Room Physician
- Collaborate with the Pacific Quest Physicians and Nurse Supervisor in direct patient care.
- Implement collaborative integrative practice care based on nursing assessment
- Communication with parents via email and phone regarding health concerns
- Work collaboratively with the integrative psychiatry team and PQ physicians
- Support the Integrative Psychiatry in administrative needs
- Be part of a regular On-Call rotation of medical staff
- Cover a weekend day on a regular basis
- Be available as needed for resident intakes and departures
- Participate in weekly wellness department meetings
- Be able to travel by car to all locations to deliver wellness items, medications or conduct student assessments on a daily basis
- Collaborate with the Wellness Department Medical Assistant for department administrative needs
- Assist in the development of systems and strategies for smooth wellness department operations and resident safety
- Must have and maintain an active Hawaii Registered Nursing License
- Must have weekend and night time on-call availability and flexibility
- At least 2 years experience working in the medical field as a RN
- At least 2 years of direct patient care experience as a RN
- Ability to be a team player, to form mutually respectful relationship with staff and students and to grow professionally in meeting the challenges of this position
- Ability to practice sound judgement regarding external and internal communication
- Track record of impeccable judgment with proper medical care and attention for students
- Must have a positive approach, attitude and demeanor with team, students, families and all stakeholders at Pacific Quest
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record, ability to drive manual vehicles is desired; use own vehicle while working (except when transporting students)
- Basic computer skills
- Ability to work independently
- Able to lean into challenges and give 100% while at work
- Must pass a thorough background check and drug screen
- Annual physical and TB clearance required and must be kept current
- Must provide and maintain current CPR/First Aid certification. CPR certifications must be from a classroom training, and no substitutions for First Aid certs (i.e. Wilderness First Aid, Wilderness First Responder) can be accepted
- Maintain current NVCI (Non-Violent Crisis Intervention Training) certification provided by Pacific Quest
- Must be able to work three days per week
- Must be able to work on weekends
- Must be available to work on a on-call rotation for 7 days every month, available via phone for nursing advice and emergencies
With or without reasonable accommodation, the physical and mental requirements of this job may include the following: seeing, hearing, speaking, and writing clearly. Occasional reaching with hands and arms, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, frequent sitting, standing and walking, may be required
for long periods of time and may involve climbing stairs, walking up inclines and on uneven terrain. Additional physical requirements may include, lifting and or moving up to 25 pounds.
How to Apply
Please apply for this job using our online application system.
If necessary, you may also submit resume and cover letter along with the application documents to firstname.lastname@example.org, fax to (855) 317-6304, or mail to Pacific Quest, PO Box 540, Naalehu, HI, 96772