Program Nurse (RN), Hilo / Ka’u
Adolescent/Young Adult Programs — Naalehu, Hawai'i
Pacific Quest is an outdoor therapeutic program for struggling teens and young adults, located on the Big Island of Hawaii. Pacific Quest offers a clinical, yet holistic approach to treatment, moving beyond traditional wilderness therapy and teaching sustainable life skills.
Pacific Quest's proprietary therapeutic model is a groundbreaking approach that utilizes Horticulture Therapy to create concrete metaphors for its students as they cultivate their own health and happiness.
Pacific Quest cultivates Sustainable Growth in our students, in our families, in our communities, and in ourselves.
To serve as a registered nurse in primarily providing administrative nursing duties and secondarily nursing assessments for the students attending the Pacific Quest Young Adult program. The Program Nurse will lead the team in medication and logistical administrative duties and make assessments based on his/ her nursing skills and license and report to the Pacific Quest Physicians.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage the Wellness Department staff in medication administration
- Manage daily procedures and operations of the Wellness Department as related to medication administration and student wellness checks
- Manage and train the Wellness Coordinators within the medication administration procedures
- Prepare medications for administration
- Prepare medications for staff assisted self-administration.
- Medication management and staff training regarding medication administration and record keeping.
- Staff training for first aid, response and appropriate related needs
- Communication with outside providers and pharmacies for medication distribution and care
- Provide nursing assessment for students in the field who are experiencing physical, emotional, or mental symptoms related to their health.
- Take vital signs and perform pertinent physical exams within the scope of the RN license
- Report subjective and objective findings to the Pacific Quest Physicians via established reporting systems
- Maintain appropriate, consistent, and timely medical documentation
- Cover duties provided by wellness coordinators, including medication preparation for self- administration
- Preparation for Intakes and Field Wellness Plans
- Cover duties of Wellness Coordinator as needed
- Cover duties for the Adolescent program nurse as needed
- Work with the Program Guides, Wellness Coordinators and Program Supervisors to assess and handle medical situations related to the current students in the field.
- Call the Emergency Department for a report of symptoms prior to transport and be the medical liaison for the Emergency Room Physician
- Collaborate with the Pacific Quest Physicians in direct patient care.
- Implement collaborative integrative practice care based on nursing assessment
- Communication with parents via email and phone regarding health concerns
- Work collaboratively with the integrative psychiatry team and PQ physicians
- Support the Integrative Psychiatry in administrative needs
- Be part of an On-Call rotation of medical staff
- Cover a weekend day on an as needed basis
- Must have and maintain an active Hawaii Registered Nursing License
- Must have weekend and night time on-call availability and flexibility
- At least 2 years experience working in the medical field as a RN
- At least 2 years of direct patient care experience as a RN
- Ability to be a team player, to form mutually respectful relationship with staff and students and to grow professionally in meeting the challenges of this position
- Ability to practice sound judgement regarding external and internal communication
- Track record of impeccable judgment with proper medical care and attention for students
- Must have a positive approach, attitude and demeanor with team, students, families and all stakeholders at Pacific Quest
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record, ability to drive manual vehicles is desired; use own vehicle while working (except when transporting students)
- Basic computer skills
- Ability to work independently
- Able to lean into challenges and give 100% while at work
- Must pass a thorough background check and drug screen
- Annual physical and TB clearance required
- Must provide and maintain current CPR/First Aid certification. CPR certifications must be from a classroom training, and no substitutions for First Aid certs (i.e. Wilderness First Aid, Wilderness First Responder) can be accepted.
- Must be at least 21 years old
- On call via phone 7 to 14 days through weekends in a 2 to 5 person rotation.
- Work week will be 40 hours 5 days per week
- 1 to 2 days at both programs as needed.
- As needed Saturday or Sunday coverage will include coverage at RB for 1-2 hours for medication packaging or student needs.
With or without reasonable accommodation, the physical and mental requirements of this job may include the following: seeing, hearing, speaking, and writing clearly. Occasional reaching with hands and arms, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, frequent sitting, standing and walking, may be required for long periods of time and may involve climbing stairs, walking up inclines and on uneven terrain. Additional physical requirements may include, lifting and or moving up to 25 pounds.
How to Apply
Please apply for this job using our online application system. To do so, you'll first need to create a login account and choose a password.
If necessary, you may also submit resume and cover letter along with the application documents to firstname.lastname@example.org, fax to (855) 317-6304, or mail to Pacific Quest, PO Box 540, Naalehu, HI, 96772